Computers Mind Organizing
Have you defragged lately?Thursday, July 21, 2011
While the human brain is far more complex than any computer, there are some similarities between the two. Computers have a "sleep&quo...
While the human brain is far more complex than any computer, there are some similarities between the two.
- Computers have a "sleep" function. So does the brain.
- Computers can do lots of different tasks at once, many of which I am not aware of. So can the brain.
- Computers can receive new information, remember old information, or synthesize input to share with others.
- Computers can be afflicted with viruses and worms and bots. Ever been hit with a mental "insecurity virus" or an "unforgiveness bot" or a "worm of fear"?
I think my soul (mind, will, and emotions) needs to be defragged from time to time. Lots of transitions, changes, events, activities, busyness, and so forth create a jumble in my head, slowing me down and hindering me from moving forward.
Since God didn't equip me with a nifty drop-down menu or convenient button, how do we go about defragmenting our overcrowded minds?
1. Examine those "piles" of mental and emotional clutter. You can do this through journaling, prayer, meditation, or some other method of rummaging through your mind's hard drive.
- What do you keep tripping over in your thought life that you'd like to put away in its proper place?
- What out-of-date or expired thoughts and feelings need to go to the trash?
- What ideas need to be organized for future application?
- If it requires a response, respond. Unfinished business is a primary cause of fragmentation!
- If it needs to be archived, do something tangible to remove that thing from the forefront of your mind.
- Added a new role? Create a new mental "file" for that role or responsibility.
- Left something behind? Put it in the archives. If you need to access that information later, you'll know where it is, and in the meantime, it won't be clogging up your present-day interactions!
So when was the last time you "defragged" your soul's system?