When depression comes knocking...

As a to-the-core, dyed-in-the-wool, nature-and-nurture introvert, I cringe whenever there's a knock at a door. It doesn't matter if ...

As a to-the-core, dyed-in-the-wool, nature-and-nurture introvert, I cringe whenever there's a knock at a door. It doesn't matter if it's the front door, the back door, the bathroom door (especially traumatizing) or the bedroom door. A knock at the door is sufficient cause for anxiety.


publisher's clearing house photo: Publisher's Clearing House 1e08.jpgYes, I can hear all my extroverted, optimistic friends now: "But it could be the Publisher's Clearing House prize van!" Uh-huh. Right. I don't believe you.

Like Jehovah's Witnesses checking off their territorial visits, the local team of Mormon missionaries-on-assignment, and slow-to-catch-on neighbors, depression tends to make repeat visits, coming back around and knocking at life's door at random intervals.

Some people (I find this hard to understand) have never been visited by depression, just like there are people who have never been called for jury duty. (Don't hate them, it's not their fault.) For the REST of us, however, it's important to have a plan for dealing with depression when it comes a'knocking.

1. Know your triggers.
2. Realize you are under attack.
3. Protect yourself.
4. Take positive action.

None of this is medical or scientific... it's just common sense. But it's common sense I have to remind myself of every time that wicked knock reverberates through my soul. Perhaps by writing it down I'll be able to commit it to memory this time, and perhaps it will help someone, somewhere.

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Bless your heart, Niki. I too, have suffered depression. It started severely when I was 15 years old & continued up until May 2012 when God healed me! My triggers were intimidating, controlling, manipulative people (women mostly). It was through a back injury, bout of depression from pain meds, and a wonderful Christian counselor that I finally realized those people were in fact mostly family! I had just allowed every person to control me...but no more! God was enough to heal me & He is enough to keep me there. My website is a testimony of that & hopefully an encouragement to others who suffer the mental & emotional abuse and the depression associated with it, that I once did. I truly hope that you too find healing in the hands of the Lord, Niki. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Shelley! It's such a struggle for so many people, but I think the more people are open and honest about their battles, the better we can help one another and the less shame and confusion we'll feel about it!
    LOL. Our pastor used to have us look at our neighbor on Sunday mornings and say, "On the authority of God's word, YOU are not my problem." I have to do that sometimes with certain personalities!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads