Adopting the Dory and Carrie Underwood approach

What do Dory (from "Finding Nemo") and the "Jesus Take the Wheel" song performed by Carrie Underwood have to do with eac...

What do Dory (from "Finding Nemo") and the "Jesus Take the Wheel" song performed by Carrie Underwood have to do with each other? They are my spirit-inspired memory aids for applying the following Bible lesson:

"Because of the extravagance of these revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me, 'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.'
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size — abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become." 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Whether it's a physical attack, a financial battle, a mental challenge, emotional upheaval,  an accident, the lousy economy, car trouble, a messy kid's room, a fussy baby, or bad weather on our birthdays, we can either be KO'd by our circumstances...



...or we can learn to do what Paul learned to do: "take it in stride, and with good cheer," letting Christ take over.

Wow. When I think of the time and energy I've wasted over the years because I REFUSED to take things in stride, and I certainly didn't take them with good cheer. Even after I became a Christian, if obstacles and limitations arose, I either ranted and raved against the devil who brought the trouble or fell into the trap of guilt and condemnation, sure I had brought the problem upon myself because I wasn't "good enough."

I still have a long way to go, but seeing these verses in the Message have given me a new way to approach those KA-POW situations. Just keep swimming, and let Jesus take the wheel today!


(I know, it's kind of a weird word picture, but I bet you won't forget it!)

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads