Bacon, bacon, bacon {an A2Z take 2 post}

B is for bacon.   First off, let it be known that I am not a bacon aficionado. I like bacon all right with eggs and toast, or on a B...

B is for bacon.
 
First off, let it be known that I am not a bacon aficionado. I like bacon all right with eggs and toast, or on a BLT, but I hate to cook it, hate the smell that lingers in my house (and smells to me, for whatever reason, like poverty) for hours, and hate figuring out what to do with the nasty grease that's left behind.

Bacon, is experiencing a dramatic surge in popularity. Maybe not actual bacon, but bacon-flavored products. A quick Google search for "bacon-flavored" turns up vodka, lip gloss (which may turn up on a top-ten list for "how to attract a redneck"), toothpicks, soda, and envelopes. As well as a bacon wallet, bacon Band-aids, bacon toothpaste, bacon soap and bacon-flavored microwave popcorn. Ew.

So what is the history behind this staple of American breakfasts?


Bacon, in some form, has been around since the Roman empire. Which leads me to wonder if the early Christians ate bacon. Did the Romans sacrifice to the bacon god? Was bacon the meat Paul referred to as meat that could be sanctified by prayer and thanksgiving?

Bacon as we know it is often credited to John Harris from Wiltshire, England. Harris opened the first commercial bacon-making business in the 1770s. Bacon as we know it appeared in 1924, thanks to Oscar-Mayer's introduction of pre-packaged, pre-sliced bacon.

While the idea of bacon-flavored breath mints makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth, bacon in its proper place and form is a perfectly fine addition to a menu. But, IMO, when bacon takes over, something is wrong.


What do you think about the current bacon craze? Are you a bacon fan?








You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads