It's Derby weekend!

My maternal grandfather, Herbert "Junior" Turner, passed away on Dec. 26, 2010, at his home in Kentucky. I didn't know him...

My maternal grandfather, Herbert "Junior" Turner, passed away on Dec. 26, 2010, at his home in Kentucky.

I didn't know him that well, but I know he was a fan of the Kentucky Derby. He lived near Churchill Downs for years, and was a regular visitor to the famous track.

photo by paula soler-moyavia PhotoRee

That love of horse racing must be genetic. There's no other sport I willingly watch, and the Kentucky Derby is like the Super Bowl of the horse racing industry. I tear up when "My Old Kentucky Home" is played. Must be the legacy of multiple generations of Kentuckians in my family history.



I try to watch the Derby every year. This year, I'll watch in memory of my Grandpa Herb.


Do you have a tradition that connects you to your ancestry?

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Hi Niki. My name is Bobby Deckard. Herb is my grandfather also. I know him very well. He is a good man, the best!! I miss him immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads