Be a Fact Checker!

Have you gotten the e-mail about the Costa Ricans hauling off sea turtle eggs by the sackful? Or the one that warns the use of microwaved ...

Have you gotten the e-mail about the Costa Ricans hauling off sea turtle eggs by the sackful?

Or the one that warns the use of microwaved water will kill plants (and therefore is likely to harm you)?

I've posted on this subject before on this blog, but it seemed like an appropriate topic for our Monday "current events" post at Inkwell Inspirations.

The brownback Kentucky jackalope. Photo by Noam Wiener

As I reviewed some of the fact-checking, myth-busting sites I share at the end of the post, I was astonished by the number of e-mails I've received in the last two weeks (not counting the election-inspired garbage) that popped up as hoaxes, frauds, misrepresentations, Photoshop tricks, and so forth.

Be a fact checker!

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. Love that photo!

    I got a FB message recently that my long lost uncle, ____ Levellie, had died and left me 8.5 million. Yeah, right. I married into the Levellie clan, there are only two Levellie men in the U.S.: my husband and my son, and it's an Americanization of a French name. Nice try. I blocked the blockhead who sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those emails. :o) My dad and FIL know that if they send me or my husband something, they're likely to get an email back with a snopes.com myth buster.

    But I guess they can be entertaining if nothing else... kind of like jackalope! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we have to check our facts. Even journalists and media outlets routinely quote false statistics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jeanette, I haven't seen those on FB! I do get a lot of them in my work email account, though. It's frightening that enough people fall for those scams that the scammers continue to send them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackee,
    I do that too... I think it makes people cranky when they realize I've notified their entire mailing list of their error.
    Thanks for the follow, BTW! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill,
    Especially when those stats and "facts" are inflammatory! *sigh*
    N-

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads