When Your Pop Culture Pops Back Up

I remember grocery shopping with my mom as a kid and hearing her groan about the "muzak" flooding the store's atmosphere. &qu...

I remember grocery shopping with my mom as a kid and hearing her groan about the "muzak" flooding the store's atmosphere.
"What?" I asked.
"They've turned the Beatles into elevator music."
For her it was musical sacrilege. And a disturbing reminder that a once radical statement of anti-establishment individuality had become a sales tool used by savvy marketing gurus.

I of course, never expected my generation's pop culture to reappear. And then someone got the bright idea to use "Whip It" to sell, of all things, Swiffer dusters. Okay, so that was traumatic.

And now Target is selling...something... using AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock" as the background music. Honestly, I've seen the commercial three times now and I still can't figure out what product the ad is promoting.

This morning the cast from the iconic '80s movie hit "The Breakfast Club" appeared on Good Morning America to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie's release. As long as no one decides to turn it into a TV sit-com with Judd Nelson as the principal.

Then. The Criminal, the Athlete, the Basket-case, the Princess and the Brain.


And now. Minus Emilio Estevez.

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. I actually like some of the Beatle's songs better as Muzak than when they were new. Please don't stone me, now!

    It is kinda wierd when marketing teams resurrect old songs, movies and slogans. Perhaps they are trying to target those of us they think have a lot of money? Come back in ten years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. As long as Metallica and Motley Crue don't end up as Muzak!
    I think you are exactly right. You can almost tell which age group is being targeted by what music they use on the commercials!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads