I don't wanna be a dirt clod.

"This is true joy in life, the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead ...

"This is true joy in life, the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."
~George Bernard Shaw
I'm reading Francis Chan's book Crazy Love right now. In it, Chan shares this quote from playwright Shaw. I had to go back and read it several times for full impact.


We don't like the idea of "being used up," or wasted, like a roll of cheap toilet paper, but our lives are being used up every day. Will we waste those little squares (I'm thinking calendar here, not TP) or put them to use for a purpose that is bigger than ourselves? 

Think of it... Every day presents a new opportunity to do something with the potential to last for eternity. Not just your lifetime or even a century or two, but something that will last forever. Our challenge lies in sorting out the eternal from the temporary, discerning what tasks and assignments will bring the greatest value, the greatest investment into a "mighty purpose." 

I resolve to spend/use my time and energy this week in the pursuit of a higher purpose, to wisely invest my little calendar squares in things that are eternal and not temporary. And to avoid (dear Lord, please help me) becoming a selfish clod of complaints and grievances.



You Might Also Like

5 Comments

  1. I want to avoid being a selfish clod too. There. We're in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear one, I just finished pulling this book into my heart.

    LOVED the aunt's comment about not wanting to be at certain places when Jesus returns.

    And I plan to adopt this line into a novel.

    Somehow.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. convicting. I have a pile of things to do that I am not very motivated to take on -- but now, I'll stand right up and do what God has called me to do, in today. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eloquently stated! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Let's resolve not to be clods, but something beautiful growing up out of the rich soil of God's love. Not bad huh?? Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill~ Amen!

    Patti~ It is an excellent book. I love the idea of taking a quote and working it into a novel. I've been considering doing that with Scripture.

    Andrea~ Hope you attacked that pile of things to do with fresh grace and purpose!

    Cheryl~ Awesome! Good soil bears fruit, selfish soil is just a bunch of dirt clods!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for In Truer Ink

ads